In 1949, ‘Cuttington College and Divinity School’ was reopened through the obstinate intervention of Bishop Bravid W. Harris, Bishop of Liberia (1945-1964), and by the benevolence of Dr. William V.S. Tubman, President of Liberia (1944-1971). The Liberian Government with a good measure of foresight donated to the Missionary District 1,500 acres of rich agricultural land at Suakoko, Bong County, for the purpose of establishing a College in the hinterland. Cuttington became the first and only four year, degree granting, co-educational, Private liberal arts college south of the Sahara. The Rev. Seth Edwards was named the First President of Cuttington College and Divinity School in Suakoko. He served for eleven years (1949-1960). He was succeeded by Dr. Christian E. Baker who served for twelve years (1960-1972). Father Edwards and able staff were responsible for laying the foundation for the moral and academic excellence of the college. In the early 1970’s it was renamed Cuttington University College.
Dr. Baker continued to uphold this philosophy by establishing a linkage between Cuttington and the Association of Episcopal Colleges and Association of Colleges of the Midwest, both of the USA. The Reverend Dr. E. Bolling Robertson served as Interim President for the period 1972-1973.
The Reverend Fr. Emmanuel Johnson was named in 1973 as the third president of the College and served until 1980. It had six (6) degree granting Colleges: Education, Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, and Nursing & Theology with plans to add more academic programs. Rev. Johnson was followed in 1981 by Dr. Stephen M. Yekeson, the first alumnus to head the college. He became the fourth president, after serving as Professor of Science and Dean of Academic Affairs. He served until December 1986.